Curriculum Map – Draft 2021Science-Curriclum-Mapping.pdf (14 downloads)
A vision for science
“To engage pupils in scientific questioning and reasoning, developing their skills through challenging learning and investigations”
Science is good when:
- Children are curious.
- Children are challenged.
- Children learn through questioning and exploration.
- Scientific vocabulary is used and understood.
- Children experience a range of skills when working scientifically.
- Children can apply previous learning to new situations.
- Children understand the relevance of science.
Types of science enquiry
- A fair test
- Observation over time
- Using secondary sources (books, videos, Internet, etc)
- Looking for a pattern
- Identifying and classifying
What does it mean to work scientifically?
- We ask questions
- We perform tests and use equipment
- We explain why a test is unfair
- We observe and measure
- We examine and explain results
- We look for patterns, sort and group
- We record information
- We use resources to find answers